Parental involvement is a combination of commitment and active participation on the part of parent to the school and to the student. As parents you can ensure that your child receives the benefits from parental involvement by staying up to date on what is happening in the classroom.
Tulsa Public Schools is committed to helping your child develop the academic knowledge and critical thinking he or she needs to succeed in school and beyond. As a result, these involvement opportunities empower parents to take action. By connecting parents to school officials, community members, other parents, knowledge, and powerful allies, these opportunities build bridges and networks that support schools and sustain whole communities.
We believe that families, the community and the school working together will ensure quality experiences for our students. As part of our school improvement plan, we have full slate of parent and community activities planned to address the needs and concerns of our biggest supporters.
To make our relationship with the community more permanent, we created a parent and community room that will allow community members a place to work with our staff and students. We encourage you to be involved with our school.
1. Lewis & Clark Elementary School will take the following actions to involve parents in the joint development, review and improvement of its school parental involvement plan.
a) Representation on School Improvement Team
b) Support made available to all parents
c) Support made available for parents to review in main office
2. Lewis & Clark Elementary School will take the following actions to involve parents in the process of school development, review and improvement of the school/parent compact.
a) Representation on School Improvement Team
b) Compact made available to all parents/students events and parent conferences
3. Lewis & Clark Elementary School will hold an annual meeting to inform parents of the school's participation in Title I programs and to explain the Title I requirements and the right of parents to be involved. The school will convene the meeting at a time convenient for parents and will offer a flexible number of additional parental involvement meetings so that as many parents as possible are able to attend. The school will invite all parents of students participating at Lewis and Clark to this meeting and encourage them to attend by:
a) Providing Translators
b) Send a School Newsletter
c) Host Additional Meetings
i. Meet the Teacher Event
ii. Family Connect Nights
iii. Parent Conference Meetings
iv. Fall/Winter/Spring Music Programs
v. Monthly PTA Meetings
4. Lewis and Clark Elementary School will provide parents information in a timely manner about Title I programs that includes a description and an explanation of the school's curriculum, the forms of academic assessment used to measure student's progress, and the proficiency level students are expected to meet by inviting parents to attend and participate in:
a. Family Connect Nights
b. Parent Conferences
5. Lewis and Clark Elementary School will, at request of parents, provide opportunities for regular meetings for parents to formulate suggestions and to participate, as appropriate, in decisions about the education of their children. The school will respond to any such suggestions as soon as practicably possible by:
a. Individual request through principal/counselors/teachers
b. Open invitations for parents to attend community connection meetings
c. Parent /Teacher Conferences
d. PTA Meetings
6. Lewis and Clark Elementary School will provide each parent and individual student report or access to School’s Web Focus about the performance of their child on State assessment in at least math, language arts, and reading annually.
7. Lewis and Clark School will provide materials and training to help parents work with their children to improve their children’s academic achievement, such as literacy training and using technology, as appropriate, and ways parents may be more effectively involved, to foster parental involvement by:
a. Providing a Parent Center
b. Information on Parenting Tips in Newsletters
c. Putting information on upcoming events on the school Web Page, Marquee and School Connect
8. Lewis and Clark Elementary School will, with the assistance of its Parents, educate its teachers, pupil services personnel, principals and other staff in how to reach out to and communicate with parents, and in how to implement and coordinate parent programs and build ties between parents and school by:
a. School newsletter issued to each student and used as a direct line of communication to parents
b. Power School Parent Portal
9. Lewis and Clark Elementary School will take the following actions to ensure that information related to the school and parent-programs, meetings and other activities is communicated to parents in an understandable and uniform format, including alternative formats upon request, and to the extent practicable, in a language parents can understand:
a. School Newsletter
b. School Calendar
c. School Website
d. Student Handbook/Parent Handbook
e. Individual phone call made by Automated Phone System
f. Parent Portal –Power School
10. TPS District and School Title I parent and family engagement requirements plan Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
All students need parental support to succeed. The Educational Surrogate Parents Program responds to the need for support and representation of students with disabilities whose parents are not available. This program relies on the commitment of volunteers who support a student's education by advocating for him/her to ensure that the student receives a free and appropriate public education.
Lewis & Clark Elementary
737 South Garnett Road
Tulsa, Ok 74128